Monday, March 24, 2008

Ah, changing tables!!

When I was pregnant with Tyler, Shon and I were of course filling our little nursery with baby things in anticipation of our first born. We received much advice, some solicited, some not so much. One thing we wondered about was the necessity of purchasing a changing table. We received mixed responses, but actually most said that one was not needed. Floors, couches, beds, laps were all fine places to change a baby and who wanted to go all the way to the nursery to change the baby anyway. While we considered everyones comments, we decided to purchase a nursery set that came with a crib, cradle and a changing table. We got everything set up and all looked beautiful. When Ty was born, much to my delight, I loved the changing table and it I thought it the most convenient way to change him. But frequently, my mom would change him on her lap, so I tried it once and it was very awkward. So I stuck with the table. I have continued to enjoy it and use it with all my children.

Today I was watching a movie in the living room and my Cameron filled up his britches. My diaper bag was sitting there next to me so I decided that instead of missing part of the movie I would change him on my lap. So I had his diaper off and he was smiling at me and cooing and it was so cute that I talked back to him for a minute. You can guess what happened. Yes, he sauced me. And of course it wasn't urine. It was the bright yellow goo. I was covered. My cute pink skirt that I had worn to church got the most of it. I actually didn't know where to start so I sat there stunned for a moment. I hurried and put a new diaper on my smiling child (I think he thought it was funny) and tried to keep the mess contained. I think everything came clean, but it was an ordeal. Ah, changing tables!!

5 comments:

TomandEmily said...

Isn't it amazing the things we have in common. :) Hope you had a good Easter, Tyler told me that the Easter bunny came to his house when I asked him in the hall at church.

Emily K. said...

Whoa!! What an awesome story! (And, written so well, if I must say) I remember when Rohne was a baby, and we were at Mom's all those weeks, and I had to change him on my lap. That same thing happened to me, and I so wished for my changing table. It's the greatest thing. Sorry about the poop. I hope it comes out of your clothes alright.

Celinda said...

No picture?? Shoot.

Natali Jolley said...

yucky!

Collette said...

That is a funny story. Probably not for you though!
Andrea actually taught me how to change a diaper on your lap at a Wyoming basketball game. She was a pro after being a nanny for a couple of years. I have yet to have that experience...I hope to never have that experience:) I love me a changing table, the floor or somewhere solid to lay the little munchkin.